ICDO Buy ICDO Gear at the ICDO CafePress Store!
Toggle Content Toggle Content

Toggle Content
Menu:

Toggle Content
User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: ccffefd17
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 7907

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 177
Total: 177
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Forums
03: Photo Gallery
04: Photo Gallery
05: Photo Gallery
06: Forums
07: Photo Gallery
08: Forums
09: Forums
10: Photo Gallery
11: Forums
12: Forums
13: Photo Gallery
14: Forums
15: Forums
16: Forums
17: Forums
18: Forums
19: Forums
20: Forums
21: Forums
22: Forums
23: Forums
24: Forums
25: Forums
26: Photo Gallery
27: Forums
28: Forums
29: Forums
30: Forums
31: Forums
32: Forums
33: Forums
34: Forums
35: Your Account
36: Forums
37: Photo Gallery
38: Forums
39: Forums
40: Photo Gallery
41: Forums
42: Forums
43: Forums
44: Forums
45: Forums
46: Forums
47: Forums
48: Forums
49: Forums
50: Forums
51: Forums
52: Forums
53: Forums
54: Forums
55: Forums
56: Photo Gallery
57: Forums
58: Forums
59: Forums
60: Forums
61: Forums
62: Forums
63: Forums
64: Forums
65: Photo Gallery
66: Forums
67: Forums
68: Forums
69: Forums
70: Forums
71: Forums
72: Forums
73: Forums
74: Forums
75: Forums
76: Forums
77: Forums
78: Forums
79: Forums
80: Forums
81: Forums
82: Forums
83: Forums
84: Forums
85: Forums
86: Forums
87: Forums
88: Forums
89: Forums
90: Forums
91: Forums
92: Forums
93: Forums
94: Forums
95: Forums
96: Photo Gallery
97: Forums
98: Forums
99: Forums
100: Home
101: Forums
102: Forums
103: Forums
104: Forums
105: Photo Gallery
106: Forums
107: Forums
108: Forums
109: Forums
110: Forums
111: Forums
112: Forums
113: Forums
114: Forums
115: Photo Gallery
116: Forums
117: Forums
118: Forums
119: Home
120: Forums
121: Forums
122: Photo Gallery
123: Forums
124: Forums
125: Forums
126: Forums
127: Forums
128: Photo Gallery
129: Your Account
130: Forums
131: Forums
132: Forums
133: Forums
134: Forums
135: Forums
136: Forums
137: Forums
138: Forums
139: Forums
140: Forums
141: Forums
142: Forums
143: Forums
144: Forums
145: Forums
146: Forums
147: Forums
148: Forums
149: Forums
150: Forums
151: Forums
152: Forums
153: Forums
154: Forums
155: Forums
156: Forums
157: Forums
158: Forums
159: Forums
160: Forums
161: Forums
162: Forums
163: Forums
164: Forums
165: Forums
166: Forums
167: Forums
168: Forums
169: Forums
170: Forums
171: Forums
172: Forums
173: Forums
174: Forums
175: Forums
176: Home
177: Photo Gallery

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Toggle Content
Donations

Donate and suport ICDO!

Forums › General › Paintball talk :: Archives › When is too much, too much? :: Archived

When is too much, too much?
Talk about anything related to paintball here.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Revive this topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexPaintball talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobody
ICDO Supporter
ICDO Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: When is too much, too much?

FGB's thread got me thinking about this, and i think we have all approached this subject once in our paintball lives: when is too much guns, just too much?

i will be pontificating here, so if you don't like soapboxing, then hit the back button. i tend to do this, and am telling you, dear reader early so you can skip it. though, if you want to hear/read what i have to say, read on.

i have been playing 14+ years and while i took a hiatus from the sport in 2008 to 2010(October to be exact), i have come back, and am happy that i rediscovered ICDO. this has helped enthuse my love for the sport again, and give me a place where i can be with like minded people. granted, the people make the sport and make the sport enjoyable. my former team/friends turned their back to me, and the sport, which left a huge bitter taste in my mouth, which caused me to leave.

through that, i was a player and collector. not of one type or series of guns, like FGB is, but of what i liked. i toyed with collecting only closed bolt semi guns(cocker, Sovereign, Blazer, etc) but wasn't in the financial position to do so. then heard other people that knew more about the guns, could fix them better than me and had more disposable income than me. so i just gave up collecting, just one thing, but of guns that i like.

now, i like shooting guns. its that visceral of feeling, that i love. playing the game has its ups and downs, love and hate, getting over shot and pulling off that incredible snap shot. i also enjoy shooting other people's guns even more. whether its to try something i never shot before, or just to see if that other person can set up a gun better than me. hell, sometimes i might only have one gun working so i need a little help playing.

so, over the years, i get guns that i like, or have used and go from there. i don't go for the flavor of the month guns, just what i like. i tend to use guns for a period, then move on. slotting them, if you will to defined roles. my black Teardrop is my woods/scenario gun, cause its works(or working ATM), gets great efficiency(which helps on the long trips to the air station), and while isn't fast, is good enough for the woods. i have my speedball guns, my Ego and my DM(which i alternate depending on what i like to shoot that day, spoolie or poppit), and i have my mech Mag, which is for rain, mud and just for the days i want to not worry about woods, batteries, and its my anvil, never fails. i also have all the different guns that fail inbetween woods and speedball.

now, with 9 B2Ks right now plus 9 other guns, do i have too much? i can't use everyone during a day's play, and not everyone is working(more than half are, so is my collection too big? i have some that are projects and a couple are just wall-hangers, because that's what they are, and it won't change. i have some that i will sell off to friends, some that are just testing different theories and practices, and some that i want to build, just because i love to get the parts, put them on, and find out i have to improve my skills.

so am i bad for loving something too much? i've had 14 years to gather it, and i have sold off guns, because they didn't feel right, or i was going in different directions, or i needed the money for something else. there are those that you can't pry them out of my dead hands, and i might be buried with them. i'm sure we have all said that.

i think that, if you can collect whatever, but not let it run your life. maybe pass on a part or gun that could either mean Ramen noodles, every other day, or do i get the gun or put gas in my vehicle, is too much. collecting isn't for everyone, as there is a point where it will over take your life, and run everything you do, and it will be a compulsion, an almost fervent hunger that must feed. that is when you need to step back take a breathe. if you can decide on playing once in a while(which for everyone is more expensive, since a case of paint is the same price as a tank of gas) and enjoy your collection, it will be better for all.

like any addict, they will never know when too much IS too much. and while having the collection is fine, sometimes it means more when you take them out and use them.

Crash1976 wrote:
if it was an LCD I was going to make a VooDoo doll of you and stab the 5h!t out of you for swapping boards... but no LCD, so swap away. Cuz you were gonna be all rolling on the floor n' scream'n n' 5h!t... you wer're gonna be like "ah gods!...what have I done!!" and I was gonna be like "take that you eclipse bastardizing piece of fecal matter!"
fungunzbuff
PL B2K Scrooge
PL B2K Scrooge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

I feel like this might be pointed a bit at me...

To clarify things a bit

Yes, I would say I have a near compulsive need to buy ICD guns. I always find the money, even if it means not eating, or working more, or selling other things. Guns make me happy, the community makes me happy, I like collecting.

While I don't use every gun every time I play, I usually bring between 5-7 bushys to the field whenever I go. I let noobies use them, I rotate, my bro uses them occasionally, people always want to try them. Yes, I have guns that are solely wall hangers, but I would say MOST get used on a semi regular basis.

Wow, that just sounds like me rationalizing, so I guess this is the core:

I can't always go play, but I always have my bushys around. All of them are unique (which is why I always end up selling my "flavor of the month $1200 guns" for more) and I like that they are revered in our little community. Every day, all day, I'm fondling them, cleaning them, doing little projects with them, photographing them, whatever. That's how I choose to enjoy them.

I mean, take a stamp collector. You can't blame him for never using his stamps for mailing letters. It's about the hunt, the research, the thrill of tracking them down, the ups and downs of the buying process, and finally, getting it and enjoying it. I just love the collecting process, even though it does interfere with facets of my life.

They look good.
eeyore
ICDO Supporter
ICDO Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

The weird thing is, for me, the less I play the more I want another gun.

On the days and weeks after I play I always end up thinking more about the games than about the equipment. It's a hassle to clean all that stuff and as long as the marker(s) you used worked, then why even think about it? It's a tool you use it to accomplish an objective, nothing more. It either works or it doesn't. If your gear doesn't work, then yeah go ahead and get something else.
It's still the game that draws me in. Like Nobody said, It's like that snap shot at close distance you made or that really long one ball that tagged that guy out or that run through you did at the end, that's the sheet that got me hooked with paintball and still draws me back. Doesn't matter what gun you're using, as long as you're getting kills and running flags.
Unfortunately, Satan created paintball websites in order for me to feel inadequate, so the more downtime I have and the more I see what everybody else is using and then I want want want.

Truthfully, I don't get as much game time in as I really need. I end up having plenty of time to get my gear ready, and not enough to actually work on the stuff that makes me better at playing paintball. That's why I guess at the end of the day of paintball I could give a crap on if I was and ICD-Owner or a BL or PE owner or whatever. I guess I just want to be a good paintball player first.

And so, in summation, if you have to postpone a day's play of paintball because you bought another marker to replace your other perfectly functioning marker, then you have a problem and you should mail someone a free Bushmaster for your indiscretions. (This is pointed at Nobody)

(Some other unnamed individual needs to get back at me because I got 60 cold hard George Washington's waiting for a flaming piece of awesome....I WANT IT NAO!)
Peters1983
ICDO Supporter
ICDO Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

It depends on how you look at things. I am up to 14 markers now (6 of which I bought in the last 4 months). My x-mill is my current project, the b2k4 is next, the promaster is fine the way it is, my orange bko is "finished", 2 of my bko's are a constant work in progress, I have an lcd x-mill on the way for parts. my cockers are pretty much set up the way I want them (one pump one electro), I can't justify the money it takes to up my mini, my highly upped ion is the loaner. My hornet (first gun) and maverick may become a rifle. And my tiberius.

Parts are another issue. I will never have enough and I like having accessories, barrels grips, regs and multiple spare parts just because you never know if you will find them.

I am on here several times a day(mcb as well), most of which is spent in the bst section.

Do I have a problem? Am I addicted? I would say yes and yes. I'm still not done collecting either. The gf gives me the eye roll every time I say "guess what I found". This is my hoard of choice. They can be cheap until you decide to splurge.

I will start selling some of my lesser loved markers when the time is right but some of these have become family and will never be sold(hell they are paid for and don't cost anything unless I want them to).

The only reason I have most of this stuff is because I have a good job and I needed a cheaper hobby than cars that get me into trouble. Plus import parts are stupidly expensive. It's better than being into drugs (tried that with sour results) plus with any good job you HAVE to give that crap up. Adrenaline is a much better choice anyway, and it gives you a reason to run around like a mad man with people that enjoy the same interests. And it keeps others out of trouble.

I try to play at least every other weekend. What's the point of having a marker if you don't use it. And when the day comes and I decide to start a family, I will have to put it up for a while and prioritize. But my stuff will be there to terrorize another generation of paintballers.

How much is too much? If you can't carry over half of your collection to the field in a bag then it might be a little excessive. If they are purely wall hangers it's kind of ok. but like fgb's situation if they sit for too long and you finally decide to use a few of them and they leak then you spend a lot of time trouble shooting.

its kind of like having a lamborghini For your daily driver and you deliver pizza for a living. It is cool but the cost of up keep far out weighs your income.

02\05 bkomaster
02 Green shocktech'ed LCD x-mill Bushmaster
00 Purple x-mill
04 B2K4 pds red/black fade
hybrid ndfs
maloneoni
Man with no name
Man with no name

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

I would say that when people start talking about having an intervention, then you are over the line.

I understand budgeting money or working extra hours to pick up something. This is something that I do also. You want to get that one part or that "new" marker and if you just work three extra hours and bring your lunch to work instead of eating out, you can afford it. Really, the only thing that keeps me from going wild is monetary obligations and the boss lady. If I bought every marker that I wanted, we would be living in the car and I could not even afford to play.

I don't think the FGB is over the line with his quest to own every PL bushy ever made. My future father in law has a garage (two car) packed wall to wall with stuff five to six feet high. There is a path to the garage door and a path to the side door. He even has a shed in the back yard with stuff in it and two packed attics. Owning 30 bushmasters + other markers is nothing compared to that. He is on conscious mission to own every bushmaster under the sky. My father in law collects stuff with out any rhyme or reason, most likely, really without any knowledge that he is doing it. If he actually wanted to collect old tools or something, that would be fine. I think the difference is in the intent. Like those people with the hoarding problem. I don't think they have any intention to fill their houses with crap; they just do it compulsively.

I currently own seven markers plus my BKO project that is in its planning phase (ie need more money, waiting to get paid). I do not have any wall hangers, but if FGB wants to give me the dyn2liv fishmill...well, even that I would have to take to the field to at least turn heads in the staging area. Maybe not on the field, but it would be great to make people with 2011 egos and dms scratch their heads.

Two things keep me perpetually interested in paintball. Like you said, that one good snap shot or that awesome bunker run. I love getting better at playing and I love to give pointers to friends and people I don't even know. I like to see how far I have come and I like to watch people get better. Secondly, I love to tinker with things. I like to fix broken things. I love to take things apart and put them back together. All of my paintball guns are working right now and I started to get antsy. So I took apart the kitchen faucet, which has been near broken for a year, found out which oring was the problem, and found I could mostly fix this problem by simply removing this oring. It is probably a good thing that I don't know how to work on cars, otherwise I would blow all my money trying to get the 63 chevy pickup in the driveway restored. I would also be liable to take my truck apart and have no way to get around. I think I find some stress relief in tinkering with stuff. Because shooting people is fun and paintball is the only sport I ever got into, This works great for me.

With a field being five minutes away, my goal is to play once a month. I think I can justify owning seven or eight different markers then. I miss the days of playing every weekend or every other weekend. Those were also the days when I only owned two or three paintball guns. I had not yet started browsing forums and coveting my neighbor's marker.

As far as being a packrat, I have a horrible habit of getting attached to the markers I have. The fs8 is to beautiful to sell. I think I have only let two other people ever shoot it on a field. I got the bbfs with the intention of trading it later on, but after getting the ano matched on the new parts, I am probably going to feel differently. The ion is worthless and I spent alot of time picking and buying pieces for it. Same goes for my 98c, but less with the buying.

**** it. This is America. We can collect useless pieces of aluminum because we can. I have more to say and probably could revise some of this, but it is late and I am actually playing tomorrow.

63VDub wrote:
I see potential for a CO2 operated tattoo gun...

Beating plowshares into swords.
ogti9g9
Pro Baller
Pro Baller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

shortist post... I have three and the only thing i want to do now is buy bodies for them, and spare parts...

Murder Inc BKO #0042

My feedback: www.icd-owners.com/htm...ic&t=16731
Nobody
ICDO Supporter
ICDO Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

also, this isn't directed at FGB alone. as we all have had instances where we go through the speeding sprees, and can't seem to get enough. i've gone through this, as we all have at some point.

Crash1976 wrote:
if it was an LCD I was going to make a VooDoo doll of you and stab the 5h!t out of you for swapping boards... but no LCD, so swap away. Cuz you were gonna be all rolling on the floor n' scream'n n' 5h!t... you wer're gonna be like "ah gods!...what have I done!!" and I was gonna be like "take that you eclipse bastardizing piece of fecal matter!"
maloneoni
Man with no name
Man with no name

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

^ I understand. People how would refer to owning 10 or more as hording or call it over the top just don't understand. Frankly I am impressed that he manages to use them.

63VDub wrote:
I see potential for a CO2 operated tattoo gun...

Beating plowshares into swords.
st2k2
ICDO Supporter
ICDO Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

It is good FGB is starting a Bushmaster museum. I like the fact that rare and sought after bushies can find a good home and not be sold off to random people on ebay or PBN. It is sad to see so many bushies parted and never seen or assembled again you know... just my 2c.

fivestring
ICDO Turd
ICDO Turd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: When is too much, too much?

I love the stamp collector corrilation. I think that is a perfect way to help explain how a collector of anything might opperate mentally.

Hey I have always in the past years sold and traded guns on a rediculous basis. I never kept anything more than a few weeks. I was always wanting something else or just wanting to try something else. Ultimately though, I have now used about everything I have ever wanted to and I ended up right back here at the beginning.

I don't plan to build a big collection ever again, I have two, one main and one back up.

If you are a collector there is never a point where you have too much unless that collection so consumes your life that you neglect your family or your pet gerbles.

So live long, buy guns, and have fun I say. Now wheres my coffee!!??

Post new topic   Revive this topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexPaintball talk All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: