5mm eye problem
-> Problem/Tech forum

#1: 5mm eye problem Author: LitespeedLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:43 pm
    ----
Hey all,

Have a perplexing problem here. Bought some 5mm eyes from AcidRain mid-last year to put in my bko masters with QDs and drilled the bodies myself.

Well, i'm just now installing them to no avail. Once the PDS switch is hit on one my old Bushmaster harness, the noid is not activated, but i cannot block it to activate....NADA. My bkomaster with pred-lite board and clammy frame harness is acting the same way. It came pre-PDS, so the eyes are the problem.

I have not wired the emitter incorrectly from what i can tell. The emitter anode is the non-tab side and that is where i have the + voltage going in. When the circuit is activated, the volatge falls to a little over 1 volt, so the LED is doing something.

As for the phototransistor, i cannot tell from the schematic which way the current should flow, but with the emitter wired as above, i tried flipping polarity to no avail. I have measure 4.98V across it as it currently is, which is what is listed on the Vec voltage, but 4.98V is the voltage put out from the board anyhow.

I have checked all the wiring and solder connections i have made and the continuity is fine. No problems with the solder/shrink wrapping.

The emitter and collector are similar, if not exactly the same as those listed in the harness thread.

512-QSD722 - 5mm Transceiver
www.fairchildsemi.com/...QSD722.pdf

512-QED522 - 5mm Emitter
www.fairchildsemi.com/...QED522.pdf

Now, the real kick in the pants is i have two sets of 3mm eyes, and i have jumped them into both harnesses removing the 5mm eyes, and VIOLA, the 3mm eyes work no problem.

I'm starting to grow impatient. I would stick with the 3mm eyes, but i've drilled both bodies for ACIDRAIN eye covers and they are 5mm holders. I would need to rig a better holder so they don't vibrate or go out of the FOV (although 20 deg is huge).

I can add pics if needed, but i'm not sure how well they would turn out since i don't have a macro lens.

*EDIT* 4 hrs later
Well, I switched out both harnesses from the 5mm eyes and added 3mm eyes. All is functioning properly.

I've never run across a problem like this. Could both set of eyes be bad? I think the 5mm emitters were good considering the ~1v across the emitter. Now the junction type receiver, i have no clue.

Now i need to find something to fill the 5mm hole and hold the 3mm eyes. I wonder if a 3mm LED holder is 5mm outside diameter.

I fixed more than a few harnesses, this is the wierdest thing i've ever come across.
/*EDIT*

#2: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: adriann222Location: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:38 pm
    ----
The only thing I can think of is either you got 2 sets of bad eyes...which would be really wierd. Or the Pred-lite board just isn't funtioning properly with your 5mm's.

Now this is a BKO that you have converted to using the board and ram from a Promaster, but you are still using your stock BKO harness, right?

If so then I'm concerned that because your not using the promaster harness with the Pred-lite board it's having issues. Have you tried a standard board with the Promaster Ram?

I just wondering if there is some difference in the board programing that is preventing it from working with the eyes or the non-stock-Promaster harness.

#3: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: LitespeedLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 pm
    ----
Adriann, about the harnesses....long story. No BKO harnesses used. No blind harnesses used, i was modding current PDS harnesses.

I have my acidcustom trayless vert frame that i put on my b2k4. I had Stunna make a special harness for it considering the dimensions.

I took the b2k4 frame, mag modded it and added the QDs. It had 3mm eyes to begin with. This is on my trayed diamond mill bko. I actually love this b2k4 frame on it after repulsion mag mod.

The other no-mill bko has been drilled for the Promaster reg adapter, so i could put a PM clammy frame on it. It was the ICDU frame, so it has a larger battery opening and comes with a FS pred-lite type board. It had 3mm eyes, but no QDs.

Both of these bodies I drilled for 5mm eyes since i was using AcidRain CF eye holders/covers.

Neither set of 5mm could i get to work. My other two markers have 2k4 Chaos boards, the PM frame, as said above, has a pred-lite.

Everything works flawlessly with the 3mm eyes. STRANGE. Again, i think the 5mm emitters worked, because when switched on, i saw a voltage drop to ~1V, but the circuit would stay open for the noid would not activate. So i wired up the receiver both polarities to no avail....

#4: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: adriann222Location: Memphis, TN PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:05 pm
    ----
well then I don't know. I'm not a electonics guy...just a logic guy.

Sorry

#5: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: LitespeedLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:43 am
    ----
Thanks for the input anyhow...

#6: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: DarrylHadfieldLocation: Ohio PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:48 am
    ----
Bad eyes. I had a shipment from Mouser a while back that were all funky.

D.

#7: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: dyn2livLocation: FLA PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:22 pm
    ----
You can use the 3 mm eyes, you use slivers of the shink wrap and layer them until they fit. I have used this trick successfully before.

#8: Re: 5mm eye problem Author: LitespeedLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:17 pm
    ----
DarrylHadfield wrote:
Bad eyes. I had a shipment from Mouser a while back that were all funky.

D.

Good to know. This was messing with my head DH. I was losing my patience, and i've a very patient person.

dyn2liv wrote:
You can use the 3 mm eyes, you use slivers of the shink wrap and layer them until they fit. I have used this trick successfully before.

So, you just place shrink wrap around the out diameter of the eyes. I have tons of shrink wrap with varying diameters. I'll have to look into that.

I'm still going to see if 3mm led holders will work. I found some online that are a tad over 5mm out diameter. I should be able to cut them just a bit and make that work.

-> Problem/Tech forum